Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just That Quickly!

It seems like we just arrived and were kicking off the week of camp. Now, we are preparing for packing up and sending everyone back home. This week went unbelievably fast! It was truly the blink of an eye!

My son and I love roller coasters! Last year he and I went to Six Flags. We couldn't wait to ride what used to be called Superman (they renamed it and I can't remember what they call it now). We stood in line forever! Tytus must have chickened out five or six times. I kept working at encouraging him and keeping him focused. After all the work of standing in line forever and waiting we finally reached the boarding stage. We got onto the ride and waited with great anticipation for the ride to launch.

All of a sudden, like an explosion, we took off. Less than two minutes later we are pulling back into the unloading bay. All of that work of waiting and anticipating for the ride and it was over just that quickly! Amazing!

Time truly goes by so quickly. It seems like just last year I was a camper. Reality reveals however, that I have been apart of leading and organizing camps for the last nineteen years. Somehow, I have gone from my teens to my forty's in less than two minutes...just that quickly!

Here's what I have learned though; it is important to make the most of every minute of every day. The Scriptures says in Colossians 4:5 to "...make the most of every opportunity." We can't change the fact that the preparation often takes so long and the "ride" itself passes by so quickly.
However, if we skipped all the preparation and work, the "ride" may not have been appreciated as much or have been as effective. Each season and moment of time has value.

I know that after such an awesome of an event like three weeks of camp, I often have to fight feelings of depression and loneliness. Think about it, several weeks of having a few hundred people around all the time, days and nights filled with activity, then all of a sudden it is over and everyone leaves. Trust me, it can feel lonely.

I choose though not to focus on the feelings. I rather enjoy reflecting back on all the great moments and things that God did through that period of time. In that I am encouraged and joy overtakes loneliness.

Which ever season you may find your self in, a time of preparation and work, the ride itself, or the post ride, appreciate the moment. Let's make the most of every moment, because our lives do pass by...just that quickly! LiveChosen!

No comments:

Post a Comment